by Shiu-Min Block
· 3-4 pound chicken cut into 1 ½ “ pieces
· ½ cup canola oil
· 4 large potatoes peeled and cut into 1 ¼” pieces
· 4 large carrots peeled and cut into 1 ¼” pieces
· 4-6 scallions cut into 1 ¼” pieces
· 4-6 slices fresh ginger cut thinly into 1 ¼” pieces
· ¼ cup dark soy sauce
· ¼ cup regular soy sauce
· 5 star anise
· 1 ½” Tbs sugar
· 1-2 tsp salt
Place Canola oil in a large, deep pot and heat at high temperature. Fill the bottom of the pot with enough pieces of chicken and lightly brown and remove, adding more chicken until all has been lightly browned on both sides. Remove and set aside.
In that same pot, add ginger, scallions and stir for 1-2 minutes before returning all the chicken to the pot. Stir for 1 minute and add the soy sauces, star anise and sugar. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Cover the pot and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir the pot before adding the cut up potatoes and carrots. Sprinkle salt on the top. Cover the pot and cook for another 25-35 minutes
My Take on it: Try to find gluten free soy sauce and try to use palm sugar instead of cane sugar.